I am Indian, and so is my husband and that means my son is Indian too. Now that we had the birth certificate, the next big step was to apply for his passport.
We downloaded the forms from the Indian Embassy Doha website – http://indianembassyqatar.gov.in/pages/downloadforms.php
- Application Form for Indian passport – http://indianembassyqatar.gov.in/Embassy%20Forms%20Pdf/EAP%20-%201%20Form.pdf
- The Data Sheet – http://indianembassyqatar.gov.in/Embassy%20Forms%20Pdf/EAP%20-%201D%20Form.pdf
- Birth Certificate of Indian Citizen- http://indianembassyqatar.gov.in/Embassy%20Forms%20Pdf/Form%20I.pdf
Either you can print it out, and fill in block letters, or fill it out in the PDF format itself. Please note that it is not possible to fill the PDF in certain browsers, so check before you fill. Print out and put father’s and mother’s signatures.
And you will need baby’s thumbprints on multiple pages as well. Getting these are fun and a bit of a struggle. I didn’t realize how strong my bubs was till we had to this!
- The three filled application forms
- Passports – originals and copies for both mother and father
- QID – originals and copies for both mother and father
- Marriage Certificate – original and copy
- The attested copy of the birth certificate
- 4 Passport pictures of baby
- Take QR 500 cash as well.
- The picture needs to be 2ichesX2inches, and should be on a white background.
- Ears should be clearly visible, and eyes should be open and chin should be visible
I found that it is easier to click the picture at home, and then get the background edited at the studio. I had to take about 25 pictures to get the right one. You could even use a rolled up towel around his head, and under his neck to make sure it is all visible, and that he is steady.
Visit to the Embassy
- Passport applications are only accepted in the mornings before 12pm.
- The Indian embassy in Qatar is located behind the Gulf Times Office, near Aster. Surprisingly, it was not there on Google Maps.
- Make sure you arrive as early as possible
- PS – there is no designated parking area
- As soon as you enter, at the first counter on your left, they will check if you have all the necessary documents
- Then you need a token for the passport counter, where you will present all the documents.
- The next step is to pay for it, and this they will call you based on your application and hence no token required
- You will get a receipt to collect the passport in a few days
You are not required to take the baby. Although I took the baby because I had to get his thumbprints, and as a result, I didn’t have to wait in the queues. There was another lady who was there for the same purpose, and she started telling the staff that she didn’t bring the baby but the baby was waiting for her at home, and so she should be allowed fast track as well.
I must say that the staff were very helpful, and were able to guide me quickly and efficiently.
Please note that the passport collection is only in the afternoon. We got my son’s within one week.
As with most official processes, easy if you are well organized and have all the documents ready.
All the best.